Yesterday I visited Orleans down at Roukai Lane with two of my friends. The Southern American inspired restaurant is located where Agents & Merchants used to be and I can say with full confidence the change is definitely no one’s loss. The place was packed during the lunch hour and atmosphere and decor were a definite highlight. We were almost instantly transported out of Auckland. It’s dark inside with small hanging light bulbs, the walls are lined with wooden planks and the bar area decorated with an assortment of old-fashioned picture frames and the odd mask and American flag. At the back of the restaurant there is a piano and a drum kit for their live music sessions. Between the three of us we had some big bowls, small bowls and dessert.
- The Jambalaya Balls ($10) were tasty and went well with the gravy.
- The famous Chicken Waffles ($12) were controversial, either you hated it or you loved it. At our table it was a 1-1 and ‘not sure’ situation. It was an interesting combination and we thought both components were well made.
- We also enjoyed the Curly Fries ($6) a lot. They were crispy and delicious with the chipotle mayo.
- I liked the Flat Iron Steak ($18) but I liked the blackened vegetables more.
- Last but not least, the Baked Cheesecake ($10) sealed the deal. My favourite from the entire meal. This was paired with bruleed banana and butterscotch. It was light and it was good.
Overall the food is delicious, the portions probably a little smaller than expected but we’re definitely happy to have this restaurant join us in Britomart. Service was quick and attentive. If you were to ask me whether I liked Miss Clawdy (read here) better or Orleans, I would think they’re reasonably spaced apart from each other to not be too much of a one-or-the-other choice (though Miss Clawdy wins for a slightly larger menu). I would go to Miss Clawdy for the cherry lemonade and the jerk chicken and Orleans for the cheesecake and curly fries. Someone takeaway for me and meet me at the wharf?
Note: Orleans close on Sundays.
EDIT – they now open Sundays too! 21/10/13
I got my friends to join in on rating the overall dining experience and here’s what we decided:Orleans.
Roukai Lane. 48 Customs Street East, Auckland Central.